Robotics Team 287
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» cna training
Science fiction in school EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 6:54 pm by Guest

» Alle bijzondere dingen in de zaanstreek
Science fiction in school EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 12:42 pm by Guest

» o que e lorazepam labesfal
Science fiction in school EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 4:13 am by Guest

» In My Pants Gamez
Science fiction in school EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 12:28 pm by HippyBunny

» I'm sad...D:
Science fiction in school EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 1:20 am by VP Mr. Fuzzy-Wumkinz

» ***Cyborgs***
Science fiction in school EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 7:08 pm by 287robot

» We're on teh interwebz!
Science fiction in school EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 6:49 pm by 287robot

» what song.
Science fiction in school EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 6:46 pm by 287robot

» I have a small issue.
Science fiction in school EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 6:43 pm by 287robot

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Science fiction in school

2 posters

Go down

Science fiction in school Empty Science fiction in school

Post by haris "dinodefender Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:39 pm

We need more science fiction in our english classes. I mean literature, like Isaac Asmiov,Ray Bradbury, Orson Scott Card, Arthur C. Clarke. Robert A. Heinlen, and H.G. Wells with Julius Verne. There is too much focus on Greek and Roman literature,also Shakspere.
We should try to get more sci-fi into the ciriculum. Who knows the state might put it into their regents and surprise us for we focused on the Illiad, Odepheius Rex, and Romeo and Juliet. Now these are all good but we need to prepare if the state puts sci-fi in the test/regents.
haris
haris "dinodefender

Male
Number of posts : 112
Warning :
Science fiction in school Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Science fiction in school Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-10-07

Back to top Go down

Science fiction in school Empty Re: Science fiction in school

Post by Ex-Member Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:14 am

Science fiction in school Post
@_@

You do know that one of the reasons of why we focus so much on Greek and Roman literature is BECAUSE the Greeks and Romans are one of the main derivatives/origins of why the English language is what it is today, right?

Simply put, the origins of all English and languages connected to it concentrate to the Mediterranean, all the way to the Phoenicians, Egys (that's Conqueronline/MMO/1337/leet/chat-speak for Egyptians), along with the Greeks (specifically Athenians) and the Romans. And a bunch of other cr@p I could care less about.

If you have Ms. Irish for English, (since I had her, dunno about other English teachers), all I'm going to say is to trust her word, make her laugh abit, call her a cat killer, and godspeed. (Seriously, if you do have her and she hasn't mentioned something about being a cat killer, ask her about it. Very funny story.)

Back on topic though. You don't even take the exam til 11th grade, and heads up- if you pass Irish's class (if you have her, that is), you're most likely to end up with McCarthy, and she'll force you to read A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, A Separate Peace by John Knowles, and Macbeth by William Shakespeare. Heck, she'll even probably make you read Animal Farm by George Orwell. Though you do get to have your own outside reading book an all, you're going to have to reach outside your boundaries/personal preferences eventually. =/

And the state will NEVER put science fiction on any of the exams. Why? Not many like it, nor will kids ever care. I bet that if you surveyed the school anyways, most would say romance, fiction, historical fiction, mystery, and adventure, hands-down (if everyone in the school actually cared about English, considering the maturity group nowadays =/). Though they're popular and all, it's what's more easier to relate to. [Love>War, no offense to my great friend Ed Tordahl.]

And if you'd like to retort that William Shakespeare's works have nothing to do with real life, they actually do for alot of people you don't know. Remember, you're going to even have to read through them again in COLLEGE as well probably, so either you can acclaim to the taste of a different genre or pray that it all changes. Which it won't because the state's too lazy.
Science fiction in school EndPost

Ex-Member
Veteran

Female
Number of posts : 283
Warning :
Science fiction in school Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Science fiction in school Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/13512394/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum